Thursday, September 25, 2008

More Voronezh Updates

Hi all! I am finally getting to post an update again, although now our ministry week is almost over. It has been an exciting and rewarding time here in Voronezh, and we've seen God do amazing things. Erik and haven't seen much of each other the last few days since we've been working on separate ministry projects, so he may have to find out what I've been up to by checking my blog :)

Anyway, so that you know what I've been up to, here's a brief recap:

On Monday Erik and I spent time working with a local pastor to promote a movie night and brief concert. We had about 12 people from the local community there, and many of them heard the gospel for the first time. A girl I met in the park (Sasha) came and brought her brother and school friend, so I got to share with them and get to know them better. They were very sweet and were eager to return to the church that weekend for youth ministry events.

On Tuesday, I was working again with the same pastor, only this time we invited neighborhood children to the children's program we held that night. A lot of the kids were thrilled to talk to Americans, and we saw lots of smiling faces and nervous giggles as we spoke in English to them. We had a turnout of about 16 kids, with 8 praying to accept Christ. The kids had a lot of fun playing games, and wearing their balloon hats we made for them, and they were over the moon at getting American candy. It was amazing to see how engrossed they were during the gospel presentation and how much fun they had with games and gifts that probably would have been been considered boring to American children.

Wednesday we visited a rehab center/working farm in a city two hours outside of Voronezh. The local pastor had been praying for years to get the facility built because of his heart for drug and alcohol rehabilitation, and it was exciting to tour a building that God had so graciously provided for his group. God is changing so many hearts and lives at this center, so I was grateful to visit and meet some of the graduates. We later had a home visit with a woman named Nina, who was a graduate of the rehab center. She shared her testimony of a difficult youth and how several major setbacks drove her to seek solace in alcohol. She was homeless for a while and felt utter despair until she began to hear about God's love for her. She entered the rehab center and immediately felt God working in her life, giving her strength and encouragement to get better. She gave her heart to God while there, and later met the man who would later become her husband, who was also a graduate of the facility. She asked us to keep her family in our prayers because she and her husband want to make sure they raise their three children in a godly home so they don't make the mistakes they both did. It was an amazing time visiting with her, and I will have to post more on our visit later.

I've got to wrap up the recap for now, so hopefully I can post the Wednesday night and Thursday events once I get back to Moscow.

Please know that we appreciate all your prayers and encouragement while we're here. For those watching our dogs, we send you many thanks from Russia! I'm sure if it gets really quiet here we could probably hear their barking from Voronezh:)

Specifically, we would appreciate prayers for the following things:
-Our final ministry time Friday morning as we travel to a local orphanage. We will visit over 170 children there, so please pray that our time would be fruitful and that hearts and lives would be changed.
-For there to be good follow-up with the local pastors and the people we met with who either had questions about God or committed their hearts to God during this week.
-For safety and health as we prepare to travel back to Moscow. Also that we would not get sick as the weather in Voronezh is much colder than it was last year.
-That the local pastors/ministries here in Voronezh and in the neighboring areas would flourish and grow, and those in difficult areas would be encouraged and be blessed with an abundance of hope and peace as they face persecution in their areas.
- For us as we prepare to end this amazing week. Please pray that we can make a smooth adjustment back home, and that the lessons God has taught us will impact us on a daily basis, and that our stories of His work here would be an encouragement and blessing to those at home.
Thanks, and I'll see you soon!
Nickie

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Nickie, it is so amazing to hear how God is working in Russia! As you are probably about to wake up and begin your friday, I will be praying for you right now. May you walk in God's peace and safety as you travel to the orphanage and then back to Houston.

I can't wait to hear in person more about your trip. Perhaps we can get a few together for coffee and all hear together.

Thanks for sharing!