For about 3 weeks now the thought that keeps popping up in my mind is about daydreaming. I do this all the time, and it will happen at any place, and at any time. I can be at work, in my car, in a conversation with someone, or in church.
I don't know why it happens, or what causes it, but I have seen lately that God is pulling back the veil regarding the purpose of daydreams.
I just looked up the definition of daydreams.
day•dream
1. a reverie indulged in while awake.
2. to indulge in such a reverie.
Now I am looking up the definition of reverie.
rev•er•ie
1. a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing: lost in reverie.
2. a daydream.
3. a fantastic, visionary, or impractical idea: reveries that will never come to fruition.
4. Music. an instrumental composition of a vague and dreamy character.
Interesting...
I think about all sorts of stuff when I daydream. I think about Erik, my family, my childhood, high school, mistakes made in college, winning a ton of cash, what heaven will be like, what I'd do differently in a million different situations.
What I think God is showing me right now is that daydreams, although considered to be innocent, carefree, and part of human nature, are a huge roadblock to my spiritual growth. Daydreams are fantasizing about a life other that the one God has specifically given me. It's thinking about a life different than the one He's planned out for me. It's me taking my life into my own mind and giving it a different outcome.
This does not glorify God in any way! He has had me go through these ups and downs for a reason. He has allowed me to have certain encounters with people, good and bad, and had me learn something from each one. Maybe I haven't received the lesson yet, and maybe I never will, but I have to continue praying daily for Him to guard my mind and my heart against indulging such fantasies of the mind.
There's a part of me that thinks about going back in time, about doing things differently. But what is to gain from that? How does changing what He has already planned out bring me closer to Him? All it does is point out my dissatisfaction with the plan He has for my life, even though my desire now is to find complete satisfaction in Him, in a way I have never known before with anything or anyone else. I want to be surprised and blown away by His provision and grace. I want to cling to Him in those rough times and celebrate and praise Him for the good times. How can I do that if I have a "better" idea in my head for how things should have gone?
Thank you God, for your plan being infinitely better than mine. Thank you for what you are teaching me, and for your mercy, love and grace.
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment